Sunday, October 31, 2010

Home Sweet Home


On Thursday we celebrated the 5th anniversary of the day we moved into this house. In honor of that event, I thought it would be interesting and fun (for me anyway) to take a look back at all the homes I have lived in.


Home #1 – THE FARM

Duration: I lived in this farmhouse my first 18 years.

Cost: I have no idea. Dad bought the farm from his dad in the mid-fifties.

What I loved about it: It was a great place to grow up.

What I didn’t like: It was cold and drafty in the winter.



Home #2 – Grandma’s Upstairs Apartment

Duration: Jeff and I lived here about a year, beginning the day we got married.

Cost: We paid $165 in rent each month.

What I loved about it: It was our first home as man and wife.

What I didn’t like: We didn't know too many people. Not much to do.


Home #3 – Redwood Falls Apartment

Duration: Jeff and I lived here 2 years, from 1987 to 1989.

Cost: We paid $275 in rent each month.

What I loved about it: Living in Redwood Falls (Jeff’s hometown) was tons of fun. Always something to do.

What I didn’t like: Paying rent each month. We wanted a home of our own.



Home #4 – Our First Home – Sleepy Eye, MN

Duration: Jeff, Mandie and I moved here May of 1989. Nine years later, Jeff, Mandie, JJ, Danica, Zack and I moved on to home #5 on the other side of town.

Cost: $33,000

What I loved about it: A wonderful fixer-upper, on a huge lot in a great neighborhood.

What I didn’t like: No A/C. I melted every summer.



Home #5 – Our Second Home – Sleepy Eye, MN

Duration: We lived here for a total of seven years, from 1998 to 2005.

Cost: $129,500

What I loved about it: A beautiful home with lots of room, located only half a block from the public swimming pool.

What I didn’t like: Not much. It was a very nice home. But one thing that always bothered me was that you couldn’t see out the front very well. Most of the windows faced the backyard. Unlike our current home...


Home #6 – Our Current Home – New Ulm, MN

Duration: As of Oct. 28, we have lived here for 5 years.

Cost: $164,900

What I love about it: Location, location, location. It’s walking distance from my four favorite places: (in alphabetical order) church, Flandrau State Park, the library, and work. Plus, the view of Harmen Park from our living room is always lovely.

What I don’t like: Well, with winter right around the corner an attached garage would be nice… or a mud room for snow covered boots and mittens. But I must say, there isn’t a room in this house I do not like. I hope we stay here a long, long time!


No comments:

Post a Comment