Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gifts From Above

Recently, I had one of those days when everything seemed to be going right. I wish I could list off all the little miracles that went on that day, but the only one I remember is hopping in the car and hearing one of my favorite songs on the radio. Without giving it much thought, I said this little prayer. “God, why are you being so nice to me?”

Immediately I heard this reply, “Because you’re letting me.”

I think that’s actually a quote from The Breakfast Club, but if you remember the story of Jesus when he visited his home town of Nazareth you know that Jesus couldn’t always be nice to his people. The Bible tells us, “he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.” (Matthew 13:58)

I think about that a lot. Jesus wanted to do nice things for them, but their lack of faith kept him from doing so. How sad. And how interesting.

It makes me wonder. Do I do that too? Do I limit what God can do in my own life, by not believing that he’s here with me? There are millions of people in this world, most of whom have a lot bigger problems and issues than I do. Why would God care about little old me?

But he does. Miracle of miracles, he does! Believing that, helps me see it.

Walking across icy sidewalks without slipping - that’s the hand of God. Bumping into an old friend. - God knows when a visit like that is needed. Finding just what you need at the store, and it’s on sale! God always provides. Finding your cell phone even though it was set on vibrate, having a freezer so full of food things fall out when you open the door, driving home under a pretty sunset… these are all gifts from God.

In James we’re told, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights.” (James 1:17) Just think about that. The Father of all creation, who made the stars in the sky and everything else, knows about us and cares about us. That’s such a mind-blowing idea, we’d never be able to believe it without faith. But God gives that to us too.

People put a lot of thought, effort, time and money this time of year into trying to come up with the perfect gifts for the ones they love. You’ve been there. I have too, and it’s hard. Most of the time our gifts come up short. But not God’s gifts. He knows just what we need and can well provide it.

So enjoy his gifts! Look for them. And when you see them, give thanks for them. Know, through faith, that they come from him. Indeed, Faith in him is the best gift you’ll ever receive. Treasure it. Nurture it. Enjoy it.

Speaking of enjoying things, here’s another video for you. I loved it. I hope you will too.

Merry Christmas!

Christmas Surprise "Hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment