Friday, April 20, 2012

Book Club

Sorry I haven’t been blogging as faithfully as I used to. I’m having trouble figuring out what to blog about. The problem isn’t coming up with ideas. The problem is that I have so many thoughts in my head lately; it’s hard to pick just one. It’s probably because of this book I’ve been reading. It’s really amazing. The best book I’ve ever read. I highly recommend it.
You know the book I’m talking about. It’s your favorite too.
I’ll admit, I don’t read it as much as I ought. Or at least I didn’t. But lately I’ve been reading it a lot more. And the more I read it, the more I want to read it.  There’s power in the Word. That’s for sure!
So, this week I’m blogging to encourage you to join my “Book Club.” Dust off your copy and read the greatest story ever told. God’s love letter to his people. The Bible.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
-          Pick one time of day and make it a habit to always spend that portion of your day in God’s Word.
-          If you haven’t read the Bible lately (or ever) begin with the Book of John. It’s the 4th book in the New Testament. Deep thinkers may prefer Romans, the 6th book of the New Testament. I’m starting in Genesis, which is a good place to begin as well, but I also enjoy just paging through the Bible to see what jumps out at me.  In short, it doesn’t matter where you start. Just start!
-          Don’t be afraid to make notes in your Bible! Use pencil if you want, but mark it up. You’ll be glad you did.
-          Don’t own a Bible? Let me know and I'll send you one.
-          Don’t have time to read? Try listening to the Bible while you’re doing something else. Check out this website: www.biblegateway.com There you can read whichever translation of the Bible you prefer, and/or listen to it right from your computer! It’s super-easy and convenient. (I listen to Genesis while I do my morning yoga. No kidding!)
-          Join a Bible Information Class. It’s not just for new members and it’s a great place to bring up any questions you may have about what God’s telling you. This was advice a friend gave to me, and on Sunday evening I went to my first class. Maybe I’ll see you there next week too???


No comments:

Post a Comment