Sunday, September 9, 2012

In Training




There’s a lot of training going on in my life this month. 

I’m in training at work. I have until the end of September to learn my new job as manager. So far so good.

I’m also training in 3 work study kids this month. That’s going well too. But I’m glad we have 3 more weeks before they “go solo.” There’s a lot yet to teach them.

And finally, I’m in training for a race. If all goes as planned (and my aging body doesn’t give out on me) I’ll be participating in the Herman 5K Run/Walk on Oct. 6th. My goal is to run most of it. I’m sure I’ll end up walking the 10th Street hill. That one’s a killer. But the rest of the race is mostly level or downhill, with a few steps thrown in there for fun.  I think I can do it.  I hope I can do it. I really want to do it.

And I know what it will take to do it.

Training.

This isn’t my first road race. About 10 years ago I ran in a couple and I did fairly well, all things considered. The key to a good race, I’ve found, is not the effort you put into it the day of the race.  It’s all those days leading up to it. It’s the hours and hours you spend running in the weeks and months before the race that really count. The race itself is always tons easier than the time spent training for it. It’s a lot more fun too, with fellow runners sharing the journey, and crowds cheering you on to the finish line. But what really makes a race fun is coming to it physically and mentally prepared. And that, my friends, is why I am in training.

Hey! Why don’t you train with me? 

I don’t mean side by side necessarily, but you can certainly train with me in spirit. 

You can even run (or walk) the race with me! Here’s a link to the registration page.



Any takers?



No comments:

Post a Comment