Saturday, November 13, 2010

The First Snow



It snowed last night.

I woke up this morning, pulled open the curtain, and this is what I saw. Yesterday it was brown and drab. Today it looks like winter.

The first snowfall always reminds me of that scene in Bambi, when Bambi asks his mom, “What’s all that white stuff?” And she replies, “Why, it’s snow. Winter has come.”

And I can’t help but be pleased. Sure, snow is a drag. It’s cold, and messy, heavy to shovel, and slippery to drive on. But it’s awful pretty too. And nothing puts me into the Holiday Spirit more than a fresh snowfall.

Since I was feeling all Christmassy and bright, I decided today would be a good day to put up my Village.

Here's how I did it.


I got out some large tubs, and put shelving on them to make a good flat foundation.


Then I covered them with white towels, and laid the "snow" over the whole thing.


Next, I took my houses out, and plugged them all in to be sure they all worked.



Then I arranged them how I wanted them...



...and started adding the trees and stuff. (That's the funnest past.)


And... Waa Laa...it's all done.

Would you like a tour of my Village? Okay.

First stop is the church. I got this piece from my mother-in-law many years ago. I had told her while we were shopping one time how much I liked the little villages that were just gaining popularity at that time, and so she gave me this one as a Christmas present. I loved it! It's still one of my favorites. You can almost hear the choir singing.


Next, we come to the humble home of Bob Cratchit.

Yes, this is a Dicken's Village, so all my pieces comprise the setting for the story, "A Christmas Carol," a family favorite.


Our next stop is the toy store. Jeff got this house for me one Christmas, and I like it, because I like toys.


Now we come to another favorite, The Old Curiosity Shop. This building actually exists in London. Jeff and I hope to go visit it one day.


Here's Nephew Fred's flat. Can you hear laughter? I think Fred is having a party.


And here is the office of Scrooge and Marley. Of course, Marley is no longer with us, but Scrooge is too tight with his money to have the sign changed. Poor old miserable Scrooge.


Our next stop is Fezziwig's Warehouse. Ebenezar Scrooge was once an apprentice to Mr. Fezziwig. He was a jolly man, and also gave great parties.


And finally we come to the home of Scrooge himself. You may notice the home is rather dark. I have a blue light bulb in this house to give it that eerie feeling. I believe the place may be haunted!

So, that's my Village. It makes me happy. And now, as my gift to you, I invite you to watch The First Snow scene from Bambi. I hope it will make you happy too.


No comments:

Post a Comment