Sunday, January 16, 2011

In The Bleak Midwinter

The other day at the dinner table Danica was telling us about her religion assignment. They were to take a secular song, and change the lyrics to make it religious. I immediately suggested she do a song by her favorite artist, Michael Jackson; perhaps rewriting “Cause this is Thriller…” to “Cause He’s my Savior…” Jeff suggested a Kansas tune, “Carry on my perfect Son…”

In the end, she went with my suggestion, sort of. She picked a Michael Jackson song, but not Thriller. She decided to rewrite the lyrics to “You Are Not Alone.” When I asked her if she’d let me post it here, she refused saying, “It’s not that good.”

I don’t think she really enjoyed the assignment. But it gave me an idea.

I thought it might be fun to rewrite a song that’s been playing in my head quite a bit lately. The first verse is quite good as is, so I left it unchanged except for adding the words “not so” to the last line. Verses 2 – 4 are new. Here it is. Perhaps you can relate.

In the Bleak Midwinter

  1. In the bleak midwinter,

frosty wind made moan,

Earth stood hard as iron,

Water like a stone;

Snow had fallen, snow on snow

snow on snow,

In the bleak midwinter, not so long ago.

  1. Here in Minnesota

people love the snow.

For Christmas and for New Year’s

it's lovely, don’t ya know.

But when the yuletide passes,

waiting for the thaw

brings seasonal depression

and feeling rather “blah.”

  1. Why then do I live here?

Yes, I wonder too.

Couldn’t we relocate,

As snowbirds often do?

But when you’re born and raised here

it's hard to move away,

and so we spend our winters

holding out till May.

  1. After May comes summer;

what a glorious time,

filled with blooming color

and lots of warm sunshine!

And so, I’ll dream of springtime.

I’ll dream of summer too,

for in the bleak midwinter

there’s not much else to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment