Saturday, January 22, 2011

Linette Takes the Plunge


Most people who know me wouldn’t say I have the most exciting life. But if you could climb into my head, and see things from my perspective you’d see it differently.

This Sunday, for example, is the first rehearsal for the Southwest Area Lutheran Chorale. This little choir isn’t world-renown by any means, but when I stand in front of them and lead them in song, I feel as blessed as Dale Warland himself.

Likewise, today, in just a few short hours, I shall attempt to do something I have never done before. It will require nerves of steel, and a resolve to put mind over matter. I’m not going skydiving or bungee jumping, but I have no doubt that as I stand on the pinnacle of my endeavor, I will feel the same adrenaline-fed rush of fear and excitement as any thrill seeker.

Today, at precisely 9:05 am, I will stand at the edge of the New Ulm Rec. swimming pool and do a cannonball into the water.

See, I knew you wouldn’t think it was very exciting. But you don’t know what I know. You don’t know that I’m not much of a swimmer. And you don’t know that my preferred method of entering the water is to ease in, inch by chilly inch.

But in just a few hours, I plan to change all that. For the first time, and hopefully not the last, I’m going to do what I’ve always known in my head is best, and just jump right in.

I can see it now. I’ll pace. I’ll shiver. I’ll touch the tepid water and try to talk my way out of it, but then the moment will come. The moment when determination gets the upper hand and I throw all my fears aside.

I’ll take a deep breath, plug my nose, and leap into the air!

It won’t be pleasant, and it won’t be pretty, but it will be victory. It won’t earn me any medals or get me on Oprah, but in that moment I will know I faced my fears, and came out victorious. It’ll be my marathon, my Olympics, my Everest.


I can see it now.

Now I just have to do it…



1 comment:

  1. Way to go girl! That's for all of us creep into the water people! If you can do it - we all have to do it!
    God bless your week!!

    ReplyDelete