Sunday, July 8, 2012

Signs and Sculpture - A Trip to the Arboretum


On Wednesday Jeff and I visited the
 Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chanhassen. 

I knew Jeff would enjoy all the thousands of varieties of flowers, 
shrubs and trees to look at...which he did.



I enjoyed it too, but my attention seemed to drift
 from the plants and flowers
to other things...

  like this female Black Swallowtail...


 or this fountain...


or this one...


 I was also fascinated by all of the signs I found at the Arboretum.


They tried to be polite....


...but sometimes I wondered...

  
...how many times those signs were ignored.

 

This sign must have been ignored...


...because the pond next to the sign didn't have
 one live fish in it that we could see. 


 

We did find fish in a different pond.
 They were practically begging Jeff to feed them!

 But he didn't.




 I know this sign was ignored.


I saw a couple of kids jumping on these larger-than-life earth worms.
 They were spongy. It looked more gross than fun to me, so I obeyed the sign.


 This sign was pretty scary. 
It said,
"CAUTION Contact with this
 plant can cause skin
 to become photosensitive;
exposure to sunlight can
 cause severe blistering."


 We avoided that plant.

We also avoided this one. 
 We didn't want to hurt it's feelings. 

 

But now I wonder if our avoiding it may have hurt it's feelings. 
It's hard to know how to behave around sensitive plants.



This was the only sign we didn't obey.


 Jeff parked briefly so I could hop out of the van
 and take some pictures of this sculpture.


 It was probably my favorite.



We lasted 4 hours before the heat finally got to us
 and we decided to call it a day. 
But I think we'll go back...

 


...some day when the heat index is a little less than 105.



Note: Simply click on any of the pictures in this week's blog for a close up.
 Then hit escape to return to my blog.




4 comments:

  1. very nice pictures, the signs are there for a reason, it is ashame people dont respect them!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get distracted by sculptures too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice pictures, Linette. You always make me think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking is good. Thanks for all your comments, guys. I love getting them. And if you don't know, Jason Jaspersen is an accomplished sculptor. His work is delightfully distracting.

    ReplyDelete