Saturday, August 18, 2012

Linette Tries Watercolors


I was home alone last night...

I think I'll stop there and tell a little story.

Earlier this week Jeff asked me if I wanted to come along to draft night for his Fantasy Football Keepers League.

"I don't think so," I told him. "I went one other time and I really didn't find it all that... interesting."
"It's the funnest day of the year," Jeff told me.

"No," I disagreed. "The funnest day of the year is the day we have our SWALC concerts." (Southwest Area Lutheran Chorale. Jeff hasn't been to a concert in years.)

Jeff laughed. "It's good for people in a couple to each have their own interests."

So true.


So as I was saying...

I was home alone last night, and I decided to try doing a little art work.

One of the instructors at the Bible Art Camp I helped put on this summer taught the 3rd graders how to use watercolor and cray-pas to make rich, vibrant paintings. Ever since then I've been eager to give it a try.

Last night I finally did.


I decided to try 4 different paintings.

 

I printed some pictures from the internet for inspiration:

butterflies (of course)


wild flowers


tropical fish


and Birch trees



Next, I lightly sketched out the images with a pencil.



 



My monarch I drew with cray-pas for a more bold and distinct shape.



For the others I only used watercolor.

First the backgrounds...




Then the details...

 

 


I never got around to the Birch trees.
Maybe next time.



Here are my finished paintings.



It was fun, but I think I'll stick to quilling.

And now, pictures from our Bible Art Camp...




Art Camp.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend an evening. Beautiful colors. I hope you enjoy more free time so you can paint again.

    ReplyDelete