Monday, December 9, 2013

Oh, That We Were There



    On Sunday I was blessed to be able to lead my Women's Choir in song for the annual Christmas Song Service at our church. We met at 7:25 AM sharp to run through our songs one last time, but another group was practicing from the balcony, so we had to wait. While we waited I nervously shared with them a short devotion I had prepared earlier that morning. It went more or less like this...

Years ago I heard a sermon where the Pastor shared something his mom once told him. She said that the one place and time in the Bible she would have liked to have witnessed herself was that first Christmas night, on the hillside, with the shepherds. She wanted to see and hear the angels as they filled the skies, proclaiming the God News of the Savior’s birth.

Since then I've thought about what Biblical event I would most like to have been an eye-witness to. There are many, but the one that I come back to time and time again is that night in the upper room. After Jesus had washed the disciple’s feet, and after he had broken the bread and gave them the wine, and after he had prayed for them, Matthew tells us, “they sang a hymn.”

Can you imagine… singing a hymn with Jesus! It takes my breath away just to think about it.

What did he sound like? Was his voice deep and full, or soft and tender? Oh, that we were there! 

For years I wondered what song they sang together that last time. I supposed there was no way of knowing. But amazingly, about year ago, I found out!

The celebration of the Passover for the Jewish people is steeped in tradition and ceremony. It includes the singing of several Psalms. Psalm 113 and 114 were sung before the meal. And Psalms 115 to 118 were sung after the meal. The last song that Jesus sang with his disciples that night was most likely Psalm 118. The first verse of 118 is a familiar one:

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

This is how Psalm 118 ends:

22 The stone the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone; (He's singing about himself here.) 
23 the Lord has done this,
    and it is marvelous in our eyes.
24 The Lord has done it this very day;
    let us rejoice today and be glad.
25 Lord, save us!
    Lord, grant us success!
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
    From the house of the Lord we bless you.
27 The Lord is God,
    and he has made his light shine on us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession
    up to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I will praise you;
    you are my God, and I will exalt you.
29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Did you notice, the Psalm begins and ends with the same words, “His love endures forever?” What a comfort that is! We may not see Jesus with our eyes, but he is certainly here with us, in our hearts. 

So sing to him, and sing with him! Sing with joy, knowing that he will bless us, and be with us, and that his love for us endures forever.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sallie. Why do you think your picture appeared when I clicked Share? It must be another Christmas Miracle!

    ReplyDelete