Friday, August 27, 2010

Bonus Blog - 01 revised

In July I was talking to an old friend and I mentioned that I like to listen to classical music. She replied sarcastically, "How old are you?" A week ago I told my brother I listen to classical and he too responded negatively.

Therefore, I feel it is time for me to defend my love of classical music with 3 bullet points.
  • ALWAYS SOMETHING FRESH - Since there is so much of it, I can listen to MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) for weeks and never hear the same piece twice. All other stations play the same music over and over. BORING.
  • NO DUMB LYRICS - Classical music is usually instrumental, so I don't have to put up with stupid or inappropriate lyrics. I can also decide for myself what I think the music is about. Give it a try as you listen to the piece below. Do you think of a peaceful garden, two lovers, a battle field, or all of the above?
  • VARIETY - Classical music has tons of it. Even in this song, which is basically the same melody repeated 18 times, you'll find no one "verse" is like the others. Each is played by a different part of the orchestra, and with growing intensity, making a piece that should be a bore wonderfully exciting.
If you haven't guessed it yet, the classical piece I invite you to listen to is Ravel's Bolero. Prepare to be moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment