Saturday, June 18, 2011

Remembering Grandpa


One year ago today, June 18, 2010, Grandpa Glende went to his heavenly home. That night I sent the following email. I am posting it here in his memory. I miss him still, but look forward to seeing him again one day.

Family and Friends,

Today at 2:00 pm I went to visit Grandpa Glende for the last time. It was a hard thing. But God gave me the strength to say “Good bye.”

About an hour after I got home I got a call from Jon. The nursing home asked them to come. His time was near.

I went upstairs and told Jeff, and just after that I saw a butterfly outside our window. I ran and got my camera. My first few attempts to take its picture failed because of low batteries, so I rushed inside, replaced them, and ran back to the window. He was still there waiting for me on the window sill.

I prayed that his wings would open one more time.

God answered.

The butterfly opened his wings, I quick snapped this shot, and then he flew away.


The name of this butterfly is “Mourning Cloak.”

We will surely mourn for Grandpa. He was the kindest, most loving person I will ever know. It’s so sad to think his life on this earth has ended.

But just like a butterfly, he will spring from the tomb and fly to the heavens to be with his Lord forever.

The last sentence Grandpa said to me was, “God still loves me.”

So true.

And He loves you too.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16

Grandpa passed away at about 7:00 pm tonight.

He was 98.


Thank you, Lord, for letting him be such a wonderful blessing to us all.

He will be deeply missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment