Saturday, June 29, 2013

Adventure's Out There



There was a time, not too long ago, when I believed seeking adventure was wrong.   After all, the Bible says quite clearly, “make it your ambition to lead a quiet life.” (1 Thessalonians 4:11) Or in the words of one of my favorite hymns…

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,

To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,

To turn, turn will be our delight,

Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.



And so I’ve never really allowed myself to let my dreams take me too far from home. Or as I usually put it, I don’t have much of a life.

But lately, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s okay to have a little adventure now and then. Maybe, just maybe, making bucket lists, and trying to experience new and exciting things isn’t sinful after all. Maybe God wants me to enjoy all this life has to offer. 

I was sharing these thoughts with my kids on the way back from our big Boundary Waters Adventure (which was amazing and a life-long dream fulfilled), when my son JJ gave me a bit of insight I had not expected.

He said, “God knows what you want to do in life and if He wants to send you on an adventure He will. So don’t worry about it.”



A few weeks later, through a strange string of events I won’t go into here, I was cast as a nurse in the Community Theater Summer Production of South Pacific! Danica is the Assistant Director, and Zack’s one of the sailors. It’s so much fun being in a musical again…and with my kids! It doesn’t get much better than this. 

And on Tuesday, Jeff and I are leaving on a road trip to Kentucky to visit his sister and her family. We haven’t even left the state in over 6 years!  And it was Jeff’s idea. Who’d a thunk?

In short, my summer is turning out to be FILLED with adventure. And I’m just as surprised as anyone. I think JJ may have been right. If God wants me to have adventure, then adventure I shall have. And I guess He does. Cuz I am. And it’s pretty wonderful. Thanks God.



“I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10

1 comment: