Saturday, October 22, 2011

Just a Closer Walk With Thee


Today's blog will be short. I'm keeping it that way because I don't want you, the reader, stuck in front of your computer on such a lovely fall day. You should get outside and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine!

That's what I did yesterday. I took a nice long walk through the woods.



As I walked deeper and deeper into the woods, all the clutter in my life seemed to fall away like autumn leaves, until it was just me and God...


...and my guilt.


I won't get into specifics, but I did (or rather didn't do) something this week that I'm not proud of. I had an opportunity to reach out in love to another person, and instead I held back. Why? Because I didn't consider this person worth it. I'm ashamed to say it, but it's true.

Just imagine if God did that. If He made a list of criteria and then only accepted those who qualified! I'd never measure up. And yet, I'd done that to someone God placed in my life. He gave me the opportunity to know them, help them, learn from them, and I backed away. I'm like the Unmerciful Servant in Matthew 18 and the Pharisee in Luke 18 rolled into one.

But out there, with the breeze gently blowing, and the butterflies fluttering along the path, I could finally see what God was trying to tell me. God is love. And God is in me. He loves me. And through Him I can and will love others. Not because of what I am, or who they are, but because of who He is.

It was a real epiphany. And I don't think I would have gotten it if I was surfing YouTube videos all afternoon.

So put on your walking shoes and get back to God. He has so much He wants to share with you. He's just waiting for you to go on a walk with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment