Sunday, November 20, 2011

That Glorious Day - Amen!

NOTE: I refer to many wonderful individuals, events, etc in this week's blog. If you want to learn more, you'll find additional information about them at the end of this post.


There’s an episode of StarTrek – The Next Generation where Captain Picard and his crew get caught in a loop on the time-space continuum. Eventually they come to realize they have been reliving the same day over and over again…perhaps for years.

If I had to relive one day in my life over and over again, I’d hope it would be yesterday. What a glorious day that was!

I spent most of the day at our church, attending a Women’s Retreat. Our opening devotion was an hour long, but it was an hour of God’s Word, recited by Daniel Dexter from El Paso Texas (an amazing young man who brings God's Word to life with his amazing storytelling abilities), music led by my friend and Christian artist Susan Ann, and reflections by our own Pastor Sutton on our unchanging God in an ever changing world. It was an incredibly uplifting hour…and we were just getting started!

The rest of the morning and afternoon we listened with rapt attention to presenters who talked about their personal experiences and how God has guided them faithfully though this unpredictable life. A women, and former Mormon, spoke to us about her journey to the Lord. With tears in her eyes she explained how amazing it is to know Jesus as her Savior.

I heard Pastor Stelljes tell us how a scary looking man he met one day as he was going door to door looking for prospects, not only took the time to talk to him, but eventually became one of his mission congregation’s most enthusiastic and vocal members, happy to share his story of the lifesaving power of God’s Word in his life.

We were all moved as we heard the amazing love story of two Christians on opposite ends of the globe, who came together through an internet dating service. To ponder all God can do, even in today’s mixed up world, once again moved us to tears and awe-filled wonder.

Best of all, I was able to attend this retreat with my mom, and several other woman who hold a special place in my heart. My time visiting with them during our delicious lunch and between speakers was also a delight.

After the retreat I only had an hour to go home, say Good-bye to Mom, and grab a quick snack before heading out to my next event, a singing clinic with the United Voices of Praise Gospel Choir.

I knew they would teach us a song to sing with them in their concert that evening. I did not know we would be asked to learn the song without music and by heart! I hadn’t learned a song that way since I was a kid singing songs my mom taught me. If it hadn’t been for the peace still lingering in my heart from the retreat, I think I would have become extremely frustrated, but soon I began to feel the beat, and the harmonies, and in less than a half hour I was standing, swaying, singing and clapping my hands with a huge smile on my face. Amen!

The evening ended with the concert, and what a concert it was! We Minnesota Lutherans aren’t in the habit of shouting, swaying and clapping our praise, but we learned quickly. What a joy to stand among my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ and sing “Jesus made the difference!” and mean it with all my heart and soul! Again I say, Amen!

And here’s the neatest thing. One day, when God brings me home, I'll be able to celebrate His power and sing His praises day after day after day, to all eternity. That’s a loop in the time-space continuum I can’t wait to hop aboard.

I'll met you there!




Here's a very poor quality video clip from the concert. To see a better version look at my last footnote. Anyways, that's Mark Jeske from "Time of Grace" on the piano. Who knew he could play like that! You'll also notice the sound is a bit off. Sorry about that. Just think of it as another glitch in the time-space continuum.






Daniel Dexter: www.word4wordgospel.com

Susan Ann: www.susanann.net

Pastor Mark Jeske and Time of Grace: www.timeofgrace.org

To view the entire concert go to: www.mlc-wels.edu/home
Then click on "MLC TV" in the upper right-hand corner.
Then scroll down until you find the box labeled "St. Marcus' United Voices of Praise 11-19-11."
The 3 songs we got to do with the choir are found at 30:15, 52:45, and 55:10.
The last one is my favorite. It was the easiest to sing, and it was acapella.


No comments:

Post a Comment