Saturday, November 5, 2011

wonder how

If you like poetry, then scroll down and read the one I wrote this week. You can come back up here and read this foreword afterward if you're interested in the how and why of what I wrote.


Foreword

It seems a reoccurring question posed by the leaders of several Bible classes I’ve attended recently is why God no longer speaks to his people through signs and wonders. I tend to disagree with the presumption of this question. Has God stopped performing miracles? Are signs and wonders a thing of the past? I think not. And it bewilders me how anyone can experience life on this earth and not see God’s great wisdom, power, and love in everything from gravity to goose bumps. That is what motivated me to write this poem. I hope it motivates you to wonder how...



wonder how


signs and wonders

theologians say

are a thing of the past

unneeded today


and that is why

or so they say

miraculous things

are not seen today


but I wonder how

when wonders abound

these scholars say

they can’t be found


have they never

watched the sky

and wondered as

the clouds rolled by

wondered

how

wondered

why


is it not a

miraculous thing

when winter days

give way to spring

and all of nature

starts to sing


what do the great

and learned feel

when cuts and sores

and bruises heal

do they think

it’s no big deal


are they too wise

to truly see

the simple things

that marvel me


a thousand ants

that work as one

earth’s perfect distance

from the sun

a mother as she holds her son


how can they say

they understand

the ways of God

and all He’s planned

and not see God’s almighty hand

still at work

still in command


signs and wonders

even now

signs and wonders

wonder

how




No comments:

Post a Comment